- 3 September 2019
Job title: Research Manager
Team: Research and Information Team
Reports to: Senior Research Manager
Location: Bath, UK
Please note, this position is only open to applicants who have the right to work in the UK.
The ORX Research Manager role is a challenging and rewarding opportunity to gain exposure to, and work with, senior figures in the financial services industry. The successful candidate will work with ORX members to deliver key components of the ORX research programme, and will have the opportunity to influence and drive change at an industry level.
The ORX research programme delivers insightful projects to the financial services industry. These range from investigating and determining best practice through to original thought leadership research. The Research Manager will lead ORX projects, as well as contributing to the strategic direction of other products and initiatives. You can see examples of our previous research projects here.
The Research Manager must be an effective manager, a skilled facilitator and a good communicator. The role would ideally suit an individual with a background in professional services, in particular management consulting looking to further their career in a challenging and dynamic environment.
The role is based in Bath, although some home working may be possible. There will be occasional travel involved. We are looking for someone to work full time.
ORX helps the global financial services industry measure and manage operational risk. We research, improve understanding and share knowledge to benefit our members and the wider sector.
We're a dynamic, fast-growing, international industry association with a membership of over 95 leading banks and insurers from more than 20 countries. We are continuing to grow our membership and range of services in 2019.
Main duties and responsibilities
Key responsibilities for the Research Manager include:
- To lead research projects professionally, delivering insight to our members
- To write project and research proposals
- To work in, and be able to manage, small teams to deliver projects, or work autonomously where required
- To effectively build relationships with and drive working groups of participants
- To develop and analyse the results of surveys, identifying insights and writing them up professionally in reports
- To communicate research findings to participants through a variety of mediums, including face-to-face workshops, webinars, forums and phone calls.
- To be accountable for strong relationships with specific ORX members
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Degree or equivalent and/or validated experience in similar roles
- Experience of working in professional services, in particular management consulting or accounting, for at least 3 years
- Demonstrate success in the delivery of projects
- Ability to build strong relationships and operate professionally with senior personnel, particularly in client facing roles
- Track record of intellectual curiosity
- Demonstrable experience in leading the development of engaging analysis and reporting
- Capable of understanding and summarising complex concepts
- Ability to offer innovative ideas and solutions and develop new ways to analyse and visualise results
- Success in influencing senior management
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, particularly those acquired in working with remote customers
- Excellent written and spoken English, including strong report writer who can articulate concepts and outputs in accessible language for relevant audiences
- Ablity to handle confidential material with highest discretion
- Self-motivated and highly organised, able to cope under pressure and prioritise tasks with attention to detail and accuracy
- Good IT skills, in particular Microsoft Office applications and web-based communication
- Experience of working in financial services or for financial service clients
- Operational risk knowledge
- Experience of operating in an international environment
- Experience in scoping, designing and delivering surveys
What we offer in return
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working to support a healthy work/life balance
- Bonus scheme
- Eight per cent company contribution to pension
- Employee recognition scheme
- Support for training and development
- Twenty-five days holiday a year, increasing by one day for each year of service to a maximum of 28 days
- Interest free rail season ticket loan
- Summer and Xmas social events
- Inclusive and supportive working environment
What else do you need to know?
There will be some occasional international travel to share the findings of the research, estimated as two to three trips per year.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We create an environment where everyone has an equal chance to succeed, during our recruitment phase and through their career at ORX.
At ORX, we work hard while recognising the importance of the well-being and work life balance of our staff. This is reflected in our culture and in our approach to flexible working.
As we manage and have control of highly confidential data, the successful candidate will have to make specific commitments in this regard and will be subject to background checks.
To apply send your CV and a covering letter to [email protected]. In the body of the email, please confirm what your salary expectations are.