- 13 May 2019
Job title: Research Manager
Team: Research and Information Team
Reports to: Senior Research Manager
Location: Bath, UK
Please note, this position is only open to applicants who have the right to work in the UK.
The ORX Research Manager role is a challenging and rewarding opportunity to gain exposure to and work with the foremost figures in the operational risk industry. The successful individual will work with ORX members to deliver key components of the ORX research programme and will have the opportunity to influence and drive change at an industry level.
The ORX research programme delivers operational risk measurement and management projects to the financial services industries. These range from investigating and determining risk management best practice through to original thought leadership research. The Research Manager will support the ORX Head of Research and Information and will lead ORX projects, as well as contributing to other products and initiatives.
The Research Manager must be an effective manager, a skilled facilitator and a good communicator. The role would ideally suit an individual with a background in financial services, research and/or professional management consulting looking to further their career in a challenging and dynamic environment.
You will be based in Bath, although some home working may be possible. We are looking for someone to work full time.
ORX helps the global financial services industry measure and manage operational risk. We research, improve understanding and share knowledge to benefit our members and the wider sector.
We're a dynamic, fast-growing, international industry association with a membership of over 95 leading banks and insurers from more than 20 countries. We are continuing to grow our membership and range of services in 2019.
Main duties and responsibilities
Key responsibilities for the Research Manager include:
- To lead research projects
- To write project and research proposals
- To work in and be able to manage small teams to deliver projects
- To work alone researching specific aspects of operational risk practice and methodology
- To effectively manage the work of and relationships with ORX member project steering and participant groups
- To develop surveys and other ways of collecting information
- To analyse survey results and other information collected from members
- To write research reports
- To communicate research findings to ORX members
- To present research findings at ORX member forums
- To be involved in ORX member relationship management duties
- To effectively manage relationships with the ORX leadership team
Key areas include:
- Responsible for managing projects on time, to an agreed specification within an agreed staff utilisation rate and costs
- Effective member interaction via working groups, roundtables and forums
- May be responsible for line management of an analyst including staff development
- Responsibility for relationship management of small and/or medium-sized members
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Right to work in the UK
- Degree or equivalent and/or validated experience which shows an ability to operate effectively in the research environment
- Experience of working in financial services, professional management consulting and/or research for at least 5 years
- Demonstrate success in the delivery of projects
- Track record of intellectual curiosity and entrepreneurship
- Interest in economics and finance
- Demonstrable experience of leading the development of engaging data analysis and reporting
- Capable to understand and summarise complex concepts
- Success in influencing senior management
- Good IT skills, in particular Microsoft Office applications and web-based communication
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, particularly those acquired in working with remote customers and suppliers
- Excellent written and spoken English including strong report writer who can articulate research concepts and outputs in accessible language for relevant audiences
- Ability to present findings through various mediums (webinars, conference calls, roundtables, etc.)
- Handle confidential material with highest discretion
- Work autonomously and pro-actively as well as in a team environment
- Self-motivated and highly organised
- Able to cope under pressure and prioritise tasks with attention to detail and accuracy
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Ability to offer innovative ideas and solutions and develop new ways to analyse and visualise results
- Experience in project management
- Operational risk qualification
- Experience in designing and delivering surveys
- Experience of working in bank and financial services
- Operational risk knowledge
- Experience of operating in an international environment
What we offer in return
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working to support a healthy work/life balance
- Bonus scheme
- Eight per cent company contribution to pension
- Employee recognition scheme
- Support for training and development
- Twenty-five days holiday a year, increasing by one day for each year of service to a maximum of 28 days
- Interest free rail season ticket loan
- Summer and Xmas social events
- Inclusive and supportive working environment
What else do you need to know?
We are an equal opportunity employer. We create an environment where everyone has an equal chance to succeed, during our recruitment phase and through their career at ORX.
At ORX, we work hard while recognising the importance of the well-being and work life balance of our staff. This is reflected in our culture and in our approach to flexible working.
As we manage and have control of highly confidential data, the successful candidate will have to make specific commitments in this regard and will be subject to background checks.
To apply send your CV and a covering letter to [email protected]. In the body of the email, please confirm what your salary expectations are.