ORX News Foreign Language Researcher
- 14 May 2019
Job title: ORX News Foreign Language Researcher
Languages: Fluent in one or more modern foreign language – Portuguese and/or Chinese preferred
Team: ORX News
Reports to: Assistant Manager, ORX News
Location: Bath, UK
Please note, this position is only open to applicants who have the right to work in the UK.
The ORX News Service launched in October 2012. It is designed to provide banks and insurers with timely content, research and analysis on media reported events where banks have lost over $1 million due to certain failures, such as frauds and fines. The aim is to help other banks avoid making similar mistakes and therefore avoid losing money. All such losses will need to be identified, written up, checked and then published. Typically, the process for a single story should take 24-72 hours from identification to publication. There are now over 7,700 stories in the ORX News database, which continues to enjoy strong customer growth.
You will use your language skills and work as part of a team to identify stories for inclusion in the ORX News Service, using publicly available online news sources covering the global financial services industry, such as newspapers and regulator websites. You will write stories based on what you find, and publish them online on our secure website. You will also provide quality assurance on colleagues’ stories before publication. You will undertake analysis of the data and work on other projects as required.
ORX helps the global financial services industry measure and manage operational risk. We research, improve understanding and share knowledge to benefit our members and the wider sector.
We're a dynamic, fast-growing, international industry association with a membership of over 95 leading banks and insurers from more than 20 countries. We are continuing to grow our membership and range of services in 2019.
Main duties and responsibilities
Key duties and responsibilities for the ORX News Foreign Language Researcher include:
- Research and analyse the stories produced by the searches
- Produce one-page summaries of the events for publication including classification by characteristics such as type of loss, e.g. fraud or a fine
- Check content produced by other team members, including fact checking, editing and proofreading
- Produce Excel reports analysing trends in the ORX News data
- Produce in-depth reports (Deep Dives) on specific topics such as particularly large or unusual losses
- Ensure the publication of summaries is efficient and timely
- Assist with other projects as required
The ORX News Foreign Language Researcher is responsible for ensuring the quality and timely publication of stories of those stories that they have written.
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Right to work in the UK
- Degree or equivalent and/or validated experience which shows an ability to operate effectively in the academic environment
- Excellent written English at fluent level (CEFRL C2)
- Strong level of a modern language, with preference given to Portuguese and/or Chinese
- Self-motivated and able to work in a small team
- Knowledge of desk research techniques
- Demonstrated research experience including working to deadlines
- Excellent communication skills and numeracy
- Work autonomously and pro-actively
- Self-motivated and highly organised
- Able to cope under pressure and prioritise tasks
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Effective IT skills – confident in the use and application of information and systems
- Results orientated with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Up to two years’ experience in a financial services or operational risk environment
- Handle confidential material with highest discretion
What we offer in return
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working to support a healthy work/life balance
- Bonus scheme
- Eight per cent company contribution to pension
- Employee recognition scheme
- Support for training and development
- Twenty-five days holiday a year, increasing by one day for each year of service to a maximum of 28 days
- Interest free rail season ticket loan
- Summer and Xmas social events
- Inclusive and supportive working environment
What else do you need to know?
We are an equal opportunity employer. We create an environment where everyone has an equal chance to succeed, during our recruitment phase and through their career at ORX.
At ORX, we work hard while recognising the importance of the well-being and work life balance of our staff. This is reflected in our culture and in our approach to flexible working.
As we manage and have control of highly confidential data, the successful candidate will have to make specific commitments in this regard and will be subject to background checks.
To apply send your CV and a covering letter to [email protected]. In the body of the email, please confirm what your salary expectations are.