Junior Research Analyst (quantitative)
- 20 December 2018
Job title: Junior Research Analyst (quantitative)
Team: Research and Information Team
Reports to: Senior Manager, Risk Information
Location: Bath, UK
Are you a maths graduate or do you have validated experience in a numerate discipline such as mathematics or statistics? We’re looking for a quantitative analyst to join our busy Research and Information team.
The Junior Research Analyst (quantitative) will support elements of the ORX research programme, undertaking analysis and other quantitative research tasks in operational risk.
You will support the research team in the delivery of projects, particularly those with a quantitative focus. This will include being involved in a variety of quantitative research projects, data benchmarking and reporting, analytical tool development, data quality assurance and statistical analysis. Our research programme provides operational risk measurement and management research projects to the financial services industries.
The ideal candidate will be a numerate analyst, analytical, a skilled mathematician, and able to demonstrate initiative and research skills.
ORX helps the global financial services industry measure and manage operational risk. We research, improve understanding and share knowledge to benefit our members and the wider sector.
We're a dynamic, fast-growing, international industry association with a membership of over 95 leading banks and insurers from more than 20 countries. We are continuing to grow our membership and range of services in 2019.
This role is part of ORX’s Research and Information team. This is where thought leadership, evidence-based research and related member events are designed, planned and delivered.
Main duties and responsibilities
Key responsibilities for the Junior Research Analyst (quantitative) include:
- Supporting the Risk Information team
- Helping to perform complex quantitative analysis of data requiring statistical expertise and programming ability
- Supporting the development and analysis of surveys, performing statistical analysis of data
- Supporting the analysis of surveys, including the generation of charts and other visualisations
- Supporting the publication of technical reports and academic papers following the research studies
- Providing analytical support to other teams who are leading the delivery of this information and the development of new ideas for quantitative benchmarks
- Helping to draft quantitative research reports
- Performing other ad hoc analysis requests when required
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Right to work in the UK
- Degree/post-grad or equivalent and/or validated experience in a numerate discipline such as mathematics or statistics
- Exposure to software programming, particularly statistical languages such as R, Excel, SAS skills
- Use of databases (SQL, Access) and strong excel skills
- Experience of statistical methodology such as distributional fitting, simulation
- Demonstrate research expertise including working to deadlines
- Track record of intellectual curiosity and interest in economics and finance
- Confident in the manipulation of quantitative information
- Good IT skills, in particular Microsoft Office applications
- Experience of working in quantitative research and/or the industry for up to 2 years
- Demonstrable experience in the assessment of survey data
- Knowledge of banking and financial services
- Knowledge of operational risk
What we offer in return
- Competitive starting salary
- Bonus scheme
- Eight per cent company contribution to pension
- Flexible working to support a healthy work/life balance
- Twenty-five days holiday a year which increases by one day for each year of service to a maximum of 28 days
- Opportunity to develop operational risk skills
- Career advancement
- Inclusive and supportive working environment
What else do you need to know?
We are an equal opportunity employer. We create an environment where everyone has an equal chance to succeed, during our recruitment phase and through their career at ORX.
At ORX, we work hard while recognising the importance of the well-being and work life balance of our staff. This is reflected in our culture and in our approach to flexible working.
As we manage and have control of highly confidential data, the successful candidate will have to make specific commitments in this regard and will be subject to background checks.
To apply send your CV and a covering letter to [email protected].