Junior Research Analyst (Placement Opportunity)
- 11 November 2021
Job title: Junior Research Analyst (Placement Opportunity)
Contract: 12 month placement
Team: Research and Information Team
Reports to: Research Manager
Location: Bath, UK
Please note, this position is only open to applicants who have the right to work in the UK.
Would you like the opportunity to learn about the financial services industry, apply your mathematical and/or business expertise, and develop your skills in analytical packages like Excel, SQL and R – all while working in the centre of Bath? If so, we’d love to hear from you.
ORX is hiring a Junior Research Analyst for a 12-month placement to work in our busy research and information news team. During the placement, you will support the delivery of qualitative and quantitative research projects as well as investigate and write news stories on operational risk events occurring in the financial services industry. You will be involved in data analysis and benchmarking as well as using Excel, SQL and R to analyse and visualise data and helping us to communicate our research findings in coherent and engaging ways. You will also be using your research skills, and if available, any language skills to source news sources and write them up.
The ideal candidate will be a good communicator, have strong written English and research skills with an analytical approach, who enjoys working with data and learning new programmes.
ORX helps the global financial services industry measure and manage operational risk. We research, improve understanding and share knowledge to benefit our members and the wider sector.
We're a dynamic, fast-growing, international industry association with a membership of over 100 leading banks and insurers from more than 20 countries. We are continuing to grow our membership and range of services in 2022. We are also owned by our members and are a not-for-profit organisation.
This placement role is within ORX’s Research and Information team. This team conducts evidence-based research using ORX loss data and through industry surveys. We publish thought leadership papers and deliver benchmarking studies to ORX members. Additionally, we write succinct news stories from public sources that detail operational risk events in the financial industry.
Main duties and responsibilities
During the placement, key responsibilities for the Junior Research Analyst include:
- Providing analytical support to research projects
- Sourcing, writing, proof-reading and reviewing news stories
- Helping to perform quantitative analysis of data using tools such as R, Excel and SQL.
- Supporting the development and analysis of surveys, producing charts and other data visualisations
- Supporting the writing and delivery of research projects
- Supporting ORX to derive value from its data assets through the development of new ideas for quantitative benchmarking and performing ad hoc analysis requests when required
Skills and knowledge
- Undergraduate student in a numerate discipline such as economics, mathematics or computer science
- Ideally exposure to statistical packages such as R, Excel, SAS and familiarity with database structures in SQL or Access (or desire to learn through self-learning programme)
- Confident in the manipulation of quantitative information
- Experience of statistical methodology such as distribution fitting and simulation
- Strong written English
- Ability to undertake research including working to deadlines
- Track record of intellectual curiosity and interest in economics and finance
- Good IT skills, in particular Microsoft Office applications
- Preferably experience in the assessment of survey data
- Knowledge of banking and financial services, as well as operational risk would be useful
What we offer in return
- Competitive salary for the placement period
- Flexible working to support a healthy work/life balance
- Eight per cent company contribution to pension
- Employee recognition scheme
- Support for training and development
- Twenty-five days holiday in the 12-month period, plus bank holidays
- Opportunity to develop analytical skills and gain understanding of operational risk in the financial services industry
- Potential career advancement post placement
- Interest-free rail season ticket loan
- Life assurance
- Health cash plan
- Perks at work scheme
- Employee assistance programme
- Holiday trading
- Summer and Xmas social events
- Inclusive and supportive working environment
What else do you need to know?
We are an equal opportunity employer. We create an environment where everyone has an equal chance to succeed, during our recruitment phase and while working at ORX.
At ORX, we work hard for our members while recognising the importance of the well-being and work/life balance of our staff. This is reflected in our culture and in our approach to flexible working.
As we manage and have control of highly confidential data, the successful candidate will have to make specific commitments in this regard and will be subject to background checks.
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter to [email protected]. In the body of the email, please confirm what your salary expectations are.
Applications are to be submitted by 14 January 2022.