IT Infrastructure Engineer
- 13 January 2020
Job title: IT Infrastructure Engineer
Team: Systems Team
Reports to: IT Manager
Location: Bath, UK
Please note, this position is only open to applicants who have the right to work in the UK.
The IT Infrastructure Engineer will deliver the provision, management and support of all ORX internal infrastructure and where appropriate infrastructure for use with customer facing systems and products. These responsibilities extend to cover Cloud services that the Systems Team will develop in a single cohesive strategy for the delivery of cloud and data centre services for all ORX to be managed centrally by the team.
The IT Infrastructure Engineer will also provide support escalation for the IT support team for service delivery and incident resolution and partner with other internal teams to provide technology advice to support organisational development. They will also liaise with 3rd party suppliers regarding service delivery, service requests and incidents.
The majority of external support is conducted via email, telephone, or online meetings, so we are looking for an outgoing individual who can interact with our users through these mediums.
ORX currently have our infrastructure hosted in the UK and Switzerland and the role will cover the maintenance, management and monitoring of this infrastructure to ensure we deliver an excellent service to our members.
There is also scope for being involved in projects and progress in the role to improve the products and services we provide to our members and users.
ORX helps the global financial services industry measure and manage operational risk. We research, improve understanding and share knowledge to benefit our members and the wider sector.
We're a dynamic, fast-growing, international industry association with a membership of over 95 leading banks and insurers from more than 20 countries. We are continuing to grow our membership and range of services in 2020.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Maintain and monitor all network, security and computer systems to meet the organisation's current and future requirements
- Responsible for management, maintenance and architecture of cloud services, storage, virtualised environment, servers, network devices, and productivity tools
- Monitor systems and identify performance issues proactively
- Test changes to networks, hardware, software, and hosted applications all
- Continuously develop ORX’s network in accordance with the IT strategy
- Provide technical input to assist with the development of ORX’s IT strategy
- Proactively train service desk staff on new technologies to ensure they can deliver support
- Be the point of escalation for support desk staff
- Proactively ensure all agreed business critical systems are available in the event of a disaster and ensure they are regularly tested
- Liaise and attend meetings with other departments to perform duties, aid business and organisational development
- Influence technical decisions on a variety of strategic projects and ensure that the agreed objectives are delivered within the original project scope
- Manage the technical delivery of projects
- Professionally represent the infrastructure team as a technical consultant on projects.
- Provide management information and statistics on the core IT infrastructure
- Produce documentation for all technical work undertaken
- Provide up to date and consistent build specification and documentation for the core IT infrastructure and IT security infrastructure
- Keep abreast of industry best practice and new technologies
- Attend training and seminars to develop relevant knowledge and skills
- Create and review project documentation to appropriate ORX project management office standards
- Assist in design and configuration
- Manage the technical delivery of projects
- Systems security patching
- Systems are monitored and logged appropriately
- Ensuring that technical documentation is up to date and relevant
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Right to work in the UK
- An IT or Computer Degree or equivalent experience
- Technical qualification or working to a technical qualification in infrastructure such as: Microsoft certified systems engineer
- Experience of managing Windows Server based environments
- Up to date knowledge and understanding of information and communications technology (ICT) developments and their potential to contribute to the provision of effective and efficient response to business needs
- Successful track record of achieving results in supporting critical business systems and designing disaster recovery strategies
- Experience and strong track record of successfully managing the response to IT incidents
- Knowledge of cloud service provisions with Azure, AWS or other major cloud service provider
- Demonstrable ability to adapt to new situations, solve problems and develop new skills
- Handle confidential material with highest discretion
- Work autonomously and pro-actively
- Role holders will require negotiating and influencing skills
- Able to cope under pressure and prioritise tasks
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Knowledge of ITIL
- Project management experience
What we offer in return
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working to support a healthy work/life balance
- Bonus scheme
- Eight per cent company contribution to pension
- Employee recognition scheme
- Support for training and development
- Twenty-five days holiday a year, increasing by one day for each year of service to a maximum of 28 days
- Interest free rail season ticket loan
- Summer and Xmas social events
- Inclusive and supportive working environment
What else do you need to know?
We are an equal opportunity employer. We create an environment where everyone has an equal chance to succeed, during our recruitment phase and through their career at ORX.
At ORX, we work hard while recognising the importance of the well-being and work life balance of our staff. This is reflected in our culture and in our approach to flexible working.
As we manage and have control of highly confidential data, the successful candidate will have to make specific commitments in this regard and will be subject to background checks.
To apply send your CV and a covering letter to [email protected]. In the body of the email, please confirm what your salary expectations are.