IT Support Engineer
- 10 September 2019
Job title: IT Support Engineer
Team: Systems Team
Reports to: IT Manager
Location: Bath, UK
Please note, this position is only open to applicants who have the right to work in the UK.
The position involves working as part of the Systems Team. This will be a multi-skilled role, delivering both 1st line internal and external customer support and 2nd line infrastructure support.
The role will be responsible for providing help and support to users from member banks around the world with access to the various ORX data platforms. This will involve configuring and training users, responding to queries, logging/managing service desk calls and planning data uploads.
As ORX members are globally based in various different time zones, there will occasionally be a requirement to provide support outside normal office hours, usually limited to once per quarter.
The majority of external support is conducted via email, telephone, or online meetings, so we are looking for an outgoing individual who can interact with our users through these mediums.
In addition to external support, the role will also involve providing internal IT support to the ORX office staff, as well as providing support for our internal and externally facing infrastructure.
ORX currently have our infrastructure hosted in the UK and Switzerland and the role will cover the maintenance, management and monitoring of this infrastructure to ensure we deliver an excellent service to our members.
There is also scope for being involved in projects to improve the products and services we provide to our members. This could be through development work, infrastructure design and configuration or website management and maintenance.
ORX helps the global financial services industry measure and manage operational risk. We research, improve understanding and share knowledge to benefit our members and the wider sector.
We're a dynamic, fast-growing, international industry association with a membership of over 95 leading banks and insurers from more than 20 countries. We are continuing to grow our membership and range of services in 2019.
Main duties and responsibilities
Provision of 1st and 2nd line support to ORX members as required during the data cycles, and as needed outside of the data cycle, including:
- Manage incoming support calls and the helpdesk software.
- Assigning calls and monitoring their progress effectively for all teams.
- Managing Member and user administration
- Administer the ORX website and News site backends.
- Ensuring that all operations are correctly documented.
Supporting internal ORX support requests including:
- Provide Windows and standard Office application support
- Troubleshoot Hardware and Software incidents.
- Support presentation equipment and conference calls
- Provide the point of escalation for service operations staff
Providing 2nd line infrastructure support:
- Support the Server Operations (Windows and Linux)
- Troubleshoot applications.
- Maintain and monitor all network, security and computer systems to meet the organisation's current and future requirements
- Identify performance issues proactively
- Responsible for management, maintenance of cloud services, storage, virtualised environment, servers, network devices, and productivity tools
- Provide technical input to assist with the development of ORX’s IT strategy
- Provide management information and statistics on the core IT infrastructure
- Produce documentation for all technical work undertaken
- Provide up to date and consistent build specification and documentation for the core IT infrastructure and IT security infrastructure
- Keep abreast of industry best practice and new technologies
- Attend training and seminars to develop relevant knowledge and skills
- Test all changes to networks, hardware, software, and hosted applications
- Proactively ensure all agreed business critical systems are available in the event of a localised disaster
- Ensure disaster recovery systems are regularly tested
- Create and review project documentation to appropriate ORX project management office standards
- Assist in design and configuration
- Manage the technical delivery of projects (installations)
- Systems security patching
- Systems are monitored and logged appropriately
- Ensuring that technical documentation is up to date and relevant
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Right to work in the UK
- An IT or Computer Degree or equivalent experience
- Experience of managing Windows Server based environments
- Strong desktop support skills
- Experience in supporting users over the phone
- Successful track record of achieving results in supporting critical business systems and designing disaster recovery strategies
- Experience and strong track record of successfully managing the response to IT incidents
- Practical experience of adapting to new and bespoke software and processes
- Knowledge of cloud service provisions
- Demonstrable ability to adapt to new situations, solve problems and develop new skills
- Excellent communication skills and numeracy
- Handle confidential material with highest discretion
- Work autonomously and pro-actively
- Self-motivated and highly organised
- Able to cope under pressure and prioritise tasks
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Effective IT skills – confident in the use and application of information and systems
- Knowledge of ITIL
What we offer in return
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working to support a healthy work/life balance
- Bonus scheme
- Eight per cent company contribution to pension
- Employee recognition scheme
- Support for training and development
- Twenty-five days holiday a year, increasing by one day for each year of service to a maximum of 28 days
- Interest free rail season ticket loan
- Summer and Xmas social events
- Inclusive and supportive working environment
What else do you need to know?
We are an equal opportunity employer. We create an environment where everyone has an equal chance to succeed, during our recruitment phase and through their career at ORX.
At ORX, we work hard while recognising the importance of the well-being and work life balance of our staff. This is reflected in our culture and in our approach to flexible working.
As we manage and have control of highly confidential data, the successful candidate will have to make specific commitments in this regard and will be subject to background checks.
To apply send your CV and a covering letter to [email protected]. In the body of the email, please confirm what your salary expectations are.