Foreign Language Researcher, ORX News
- 9 November 2018
Job title: Foreign Language Researcher, ORX News
Languages: Fluent in one or more modern language, Spanish, Chinese or Japanese preferred
Team: ORX News
Reports to: ORX News Assistant Manager
Location: Bath, UK
ORX helps the global financial services industry measure and manage operational risk. We research, improve understanding and share knowledge to benefit our members and the wider sector.
We're a dynamic, fast-growing, international industry association with a membership of over 95 leading banks and insurers from more than 20 countries. We are continuing to grow our membership and range of services in 2018.
We’re looking for a researcher fluent in one or more modern languages to join our multilingual ORX News team. Between them, our ORX News researchers currently speak seven languages.
Launched in 2012, ORX News provides banks and insurers with timely content, research and analysis on media-reported loss events. The service reports events where firms have lost over $1 million due to certain failures, such as frauds and fines, across the world. The aim is to help other institutions avoid making similar mistakes.
The losses need to be identified, written up, checked and then published. Typically, the process for a single story takes 24-72 hours from identification to publication. There are now over 6,900 stories in the ORX News database, and over 65 international financial firms subscribe to the service.
You'll use your language skills and work as part of a team to identify stories for inclusion in the ORX News Service, using publicly available online news sources covering the global financial services industry, such as newspapers and regulator websites.
You'll write stories based on what you find and publish them online on our secure website. You will also provide quality assurance on colleagues’ stories before publication. You'll undertake analysis of the data and work on other projects as required.
Main duties and responsibilities
The ORX News researcher’s key duties and responsibilities include:
- Create automatic searches to identify suitable content for the service
- Research and analyse the stories produced by the searches
- Produce one-page summaries of the events for publication according to ORX quality requirements including classification by characteristics such as type of loss, e.g. fraud or a fine
- Check content produced by other team members, including ensuring quality requirements have been followed, fact checking, editing and proofreading
- Produce Excel reports analysing trends in the ORX News data
- Produce in-depth reports (Deep Dives) on specific topics such as particularly large or unusual losses
- Ensure the publication of summaries is efficient and timely
- Assist with other projects as required
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Degree or equivalent and/or validated experience which shows an ability to operate effectively in the academic environment
- Excellent written English at fluent level (CEFRL C2)
- Strong level of a modern language, with preference given to Spanish, Chinese or Japanese
- Knowledge of desk research techniques
- Effective IT skills – confident in the use and application of information and systems
- Demonstrated research experience, including working to deadlines
- Self-motivated and able to work in a small team
- Excellent communication skills and numeracy
- Able to handle confidential material with highest discretion
- Work autonomously and pro-actively
- Self-motivated and highly organised
- Able to cope under pressure and prioritise tasks
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Results orientated and driven with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Up to two years’ experience in a financial services or operational risk environment
- Planning and organising
- Effective communication
- Accuracy and attention to detail
What else do you need to know?
The position is based in our Bath office, however, some overseas travel may be required.
At ORX we manage and have control of highly confidential data. The successful candidate will have to make specific commitments in this regard and may be subject to background checks.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We create an environment where everyone has an equal chance to succeed, from our recruitment phase and through their career at ORX.
We offer a variety of benefits, including:
- 25 days holiday each holiday year, increasing by one day per year of service to a maximum of 28 days, plus bank holidays. You can also buy or sell up to three days each year.
- Pension contribution to a personal pension equivalent to 7% of the annual salary (set up after probationary period has been completed)
- Flexible working
To apply send your CV and a covering letter to [email protected].